Saturday, January 11, 2014

REACTION PAPER (No.3): TRIP TO THE MOON

Thea Selina G. Morales
2013-59204
STS THX

        As an audience of the first ever screening of the film, I would be astounded and wonderstruck.  Since it was the year 1902, scientific studies were definitely not as explored and developed compared to how it is today.  But studies concerned with the solar system were already present. I would ask myself: “Is it really that easy to travel to the moon?”, “Is it that near to the earth”, “Do other living organisms exist besides human?”, “Can I go on a trip to moon too someday?”.   

           I would think that the film, in a way, makes fun of the science. “Trip to the Moon” blurs the boundary between the possible and the impossible.  It activates a sense of curiosity but also a sense of confusion. The film goes against the purpose of science which is to develop the state of knowing and to explain reality.

 I believe that the director intended this silent film to be a comedy and it definitely was.  It is very entertaining and unpredictable. Overall, it would have been an enjoyable film to watch in the year 1902. Watching “Trip to the Moon” gave me the thirst to know more about the possibilities in the world of science.  

No comments:

Post a Comment